Sunday, September 5, 2010

Progress?

In this digital age, we are finding solutions to our problems of resource consumption. It seems we've solved the problem of using less paper by creating and using digital files. But what are the consequences to the products we are developing? Are we depending more and more on other resources, such as oil, to drive our more "green" ways.  What resources are we depleting to accomplish this goal? Are all these new gadgets necessary? Are these products being developed to improve our quality of life, or are they just a tool to keep us slave to this consumer driven society? I find myself asking "Is all of this progress?"

I know, too heavy for Mon Amie Kelly. But I can't help but wonder. Since I'm in the market for a new computer because my current one is taking a ....  I'm trying to make the most conscious decisions. It's hard to stay focused on what I truly need and what the market is telling me I need. The new hot item right now, E-readers and iPads. They are supposed to improve the way we... read? Don't know about you, but I will be really sad when books cease to exist, it reminds me of one of the greatest books I've ever read, "Fahrenheit 451," will we begin to burn them to make space for our plastic gadgets and giant screens?

Thank you for reading my thoughts, as I return to the online shops. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment